12 December 2013

A LONDON MARKET AND A BIG OL' SHIP


Holy crap, guys, I completely forgot I had this post already drafted!  Well, that is to say I had the photos uploaded but nothing written.  So I suppose I ought to write a bit about Greenwich now - better late than never, eh?  (Aaaaaaand I just said "eh"... I'm not Canadian, but apparently all I needed was a few days in Canada to become an honorary one.)



Greenwich was always a place that was recommended to me whilst I was in London.  I had a day off of work so I decided to hop on the tube and take the DLR down to Greenwich to see what all the fuss was about.  I'll be honest, it was kind of underwhelming, but I'm pretty sure it was because I went during a random weekday in the middle of the work day.  London markets tend to be their busiest and best selves on the weekend.  Just look at Portobello Road Market in Notting Hill, for example. But except for a brief surprise shower, it was a lovely sunny day, and really quite nice to walk around the area.  I walked past the Cutty Sark, and popped into the gift shop for a peek.  However, I was on a pretty tight budget at this point, and so I opted not to buy a ticket for the tour.  I didn't go into the Maritime Museum either, which is making me now think that I didn't really do Greenwich properly at all.  When I'm next in London, I will go back and do it justice.  But for this time round, I got to enjoy the lovely outdoors aspect of the market, see the Cutty Sark and look across the Thames to views of Canary Wharf and central London. 

Pin It button on image hover