11 December 2013

ON SELF-ESTEEM, MOTIVATION, AND A LITTLE SECRET

Last night was the airing of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, and personally, it's one of my favourite things about the holiday season.  I always look forward to the VS Fashion Show, and it may be my favourite non-holiday night of the year, to be honest.  I know that some people really give it a lot of flack and bitch about how it kills self esteem, etc.  But for me, it motivates me more effectively than really any other event or thing I've come across.

Sure, we can't all have an Angel's body.  We definitely can't all be official Angels.  But that doesn't mean we can't take them as inspiration for being the best we can be and working with what we've got.  To me, the Victoria Secret Fashion Show is less about the comparing of physical attributes, and more about the fun and crazy costumes, the music performances, and the overall fun that is had on that runway and in that room, shared directly with us via our TVs.  I see it as a party.  The girls are gorgeous, duh, but personally, I think it's in a much more motivating and inspiring way than a typical designer fashion show where everyone is just so serious and there's nothing to take away from the automatic comparing of selves.

So that said, I have a secret.  (Not Victoria's secret, just my secret :p )  It's a little wish of mine to walk in the VS Fashion Show.  It's something that I'd really like to do.  I know it won't happen, and honestly, my passion is in theatre, so I'm not going to invest the time and energy in pursuing this little secret desire.  And that's okay.  But, say, if magically I had the opportunity to walk, I would do it in a second.  Not because I want to be an Angel, but because it just looks like so much fun on that runway!  And it's a motivation for me to get out and go running, or lift water bottles as weights and do crunches in my living room.  Because in my own little dream world, if the opportunity arose, I'd want to be ready to put on my own pair of wings.
Pin It button on image hover