13 May 2014

EVERYBODY'S GONE SURFIN', SURFIN' USA


I have been a bad, bad blogger.  I admit this readily.  BUT, my people/self/whoever is reading this right now (hi Dad), I have a good reason for the last week of no activity whatsoever.  My friend Angie came to visit me on Thursday and we spent all weekend together hanging out at Cocoa Beach, then going to Orlando and spending two straight days at Universal.  It was thoroughly exhasuting, ridiculously fun, and I didn't have my computer at any point throughout.  Hence the Cinco de Mayo post being posted on the 12th... better late than never?  (I think that's becoming my blog's slogan.  I'll try to remedy that because "Style to Stage: Better late than never!" just doesn't work.

This bit of blogging today covers all of our Cocoa Beach adventures, which were quite adventurous indeed!  You guys, I tried surfing.  I can cross that off my goals list now!  But anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.  We started out by searching high and low for beach towels as that was, of course, the one thing we both forgot to pack.  Also, it turns out that beach towels are shockingly hard to find near Cocoa Beach.  Or at least, neither Walgreens nor Dollar Tree had them.  We ended up buying $5 bath towels at Dollar Tree.  Eventually we made our way to the beach.  Having gotten up quite early in order to make the most of the day, we arrived around 9:30 and it was completely empty, so we were able to pick the best spot and get settled in before the crowds came.


I had always wanted to try surfing, so when I saw that there seemed to be some decent waves and that there were a few people out there with surfboards, I went up to the [very attractive] lifeguards and asked about where I might try it for myself.  They directed me to The School of Surf, where I met with Lauren and learned to ride the waves!  It honestly was a lot more straightforward than I thought it would be.  I assumed there would be a lot of teaching and stuff to do before getting in the water, but it was actually very quick, and before I knew it, I was in the ocean with a surfboard.  It took me a while to get the hang of getting up into the standing position, something I still haven't mastered completely.  By the end of my hour lesson, I was able to get up on my feet, but I still need to work on maintaining the position throughout the ride.  Next time!


After laying about on the beach and me trying my hand at surfing, we felt we had gotten ourselves plenty of sun.  Poor Angie got her first sunburn all over her back - and a bad one at that!  Meanwhile, I got a lovely sunburn right on my bum, and at the moment it's in the itchy phase, so that is quite awkward, as you can imagine.


At this point in the day, we were read for some food.  And I had the [not so] wonderful taste of salt water in my mouth, so anything edible sounded great to me.  We went right up to the restaurant behind us, and sat at the bar, looking over the sand to the ocean while we drank cocktails out of a coconut monkey head (so not worth the extra money - that thing was absolutely massive).  We both ordered the fish tacos with sweet potato fries - jerk for Angie, and blackened for me.  Both were excellent.  In fact, they were the best damn fish tacos I've had in my life, and the sweet potato fries came with a creamy chipotle sauce that was absolute heaven as a pairing.  I'm drooling just thinking about the meal.  The restaurant was called Coconuts on the Beach... MUST visit whilst at Cocoa Beach!!

Pin It button on image hover