20 March 2013

OF BIKERS AND BEACHES

As I sit here in my apartment in Boston, there is a fresh several inches of snow outside, school has closed for the day, and I'm finding it hard to believe that just a couple days ago I was in sunny Florida with its 80-degree weather and bright sunshine.  I mean, snow??  Come on Boston.  It's the end of March - get yourself together.

This spring break was exactly what I wanted and needed though.  I got to hang out with my mom, snuggle my puppy, drive that powerhouse of a Miata on the beach, lay in the sun, wear sundresses and shorts and other hot weather things, drink tropical beverages, and sleep in a big comfy bed with palm trees outside my window.  We decided (after a little work convincing my mom) to go to Daytona Beach on Saturday right during the end of Bike Week 2013.  Basically the beach version of the Sturgis motorbike rally, hundreds of thousands of bikers from all over the country bring their bikes down to Daytona for a week of motorbike based festivities.  They have bike races at the speedway, a "Hot Leathers" bike-wear fashion show, Hooters bikini contests, parades, music, etc.  The bikers had taken over Daytona, and we joined in the fun!  Let me tell you, there is no better place for a girl to get a boost of confidence that around a bunch of bikers.

One thing that really solidified for me was how much I enjoy the biker crowd.  It's not really my style what with all the Harley Davidson bikes (I prefer them crotch rockets ;p) and leather chaps, but no matter what style of bike they ride or how they dress, what I like most about being around these people is how real they are.  Everyone is there for the shared passion of biking - they're real people, not all intimidating and belonging to gangs like most stereotypes.  They don't care what you look like (believe me, it was a huge hodgepodge of all types of people in all types of clothing or lack thereof) and they don't judge.  They're just there to have fun.

So Daytona Bike Week was definitely a highlight of a wonderful spring break.  Now I'm back in Boston for the last two months of school before graduating (eek! and yay!), and I start my internship as Assistant Stage Manager for the Actor Shakespeare Project's production of Pericles tonight, so that's where I'm off to now.  Cheers lovelies!
Pin It button on image hover