18 April 2012

Harvard


The other day, a friend and I went to visit Harvard Square.  And I'm gonna let you in on a little secret - it made me a little homesick.

I haven't been homesick at all since I've been in Boston.  It's enough like Seattle that it feels close enough to home, but different enough that I don't feel like I never moved.  Honestly, it's been a really great transition.  Sure, I've missed parts of Seattle and my friends back there {it would be weird if I hadn't}, but not to the point of actually being homesick.  I don't like that word.

So we went to Harvard, and the university is gorgeous.  Harvard Square is adorable, and the campus is simply stunning with its old New England brick buildings, green lawns, old fashioned lamp posts, wrought iron detail, and blossoming trees.  So why did it make me feel a tinge of homesickness?  It's literally like a condensed version of the University of Washington.  Underneath the awe I felt by just walking around Harvard and taking in its beauty, I honestly felt like I could have been walking through the campus of the UW.  And because that's such a familiar thing, Harvard has been the most familiar-feeling part of Boston so far.  Which makes it both wonderful and homesick-inducing {I won't go so far as to say "sad", because that's not true and Harvard is amazing}.

Anyways, that turned out to be a longer post than I expected.  But a necessary one.  I will definitely be going back there before I go home, especially with this lovely weather we have!
Pin It button on image hover