02 September 2014

WELCOME HOME, HAVE A DOUGHNUT


Well, as of today, I've officially been home one week, and I've got to say, it feels goooood!  It's the simple things, like the inexplicable feeling of comfort just by knowing you're surrounded by mountains and evergreens, or the smell of the cool, salty air that rolls off the water.  Of course, waking up and looking out at the view of the skyline doesn't hurt either.

I've loved being able to go out for a walk in the still warm, yet crisp early autumn air and walk the two miles along the beach to grab a morning brew from the local, independent coffee shop.  It's just one of the many things about Seattle that I love and have really missed.

On that note, another thing I'd missed and couldn't wait for was a classic old-fashioned glazed doughnut from the incomparable Top Pot Doughnuts.  So, on Sunday, my sister and I decided to take the Water Taxi across the Sound to Pike Place Market where we would indulge in a doughnut and hang out downtown.


If you've never taken or heard of the Water Taxi,  it's a really cool method of transportation that Seattle offers.  It runs between Alki Beach in West Seattle and Pike Place Market in the heart of downtown.  Great for tourists and locals alike, it's a quick and easy 15-minute boat ride that generally leaves at hourly intervals from each side.  Adult fare one way was $4.75, though I imagine, like the schedule, that may vary depending on the season or the hours.

We jetted off from Alki, only a quarter of a mile or so from our place, and watched as West Seattle grew smaller with distance.  Then, wanting to watch the city grow closer, we scurried round to the bow of the boat.


Of course, we indulged in some tourist-y photos.  It's always fun to be a tourist in your own city.


Shortly after, we docked along the waterfront and made our way through Pike Place up to the Top Pot location on 5th Ave.  It should be noted that downtown has several Top Pot locations, a few of which are closer to the Market, but at this time of the afternoon on a Sunday, they had just closed.  As it was, we only just made it to the location on 5th.  They were a bit picked over as it was the end of their day, but they still had some old-fashioned glazed in the chocolate variety, so we were more than happy to settle for that.  I prefer classic over chocolate, myself, but both are delicious!


This is the face of someone who is pleased to have Top Pot back in their life.


Safe to say I enjoyed our reunion.

We finished out the evening by walking ALL around central Seattle as we looked at apartment buildings.  As I may have mentioned, my sister and I are in the midst of apartment hunting.  We walked for miles and miles, taking note of any buildings that we liked the look of, seeing some we had already checked out and happening upon new ones that showed potential.

And on that note, I'm off to make some phone calls to said apartments.
Pin It button on image hover