19 June 2014

SUMMER READING


There are quite a few books I've been wanting to add to my "To Read" list lately, so I thought I might list them here in case they sparked an interest for anyone. It's been a while since I've been reading on a regular basis since I've just been so all over the place - I've hardly had a moment to sit and read, let alone eat or sleep, over the past few months. But now my schedule is resembling a somewhat normal pace and I fully intend to fill some of my leisure hours by spending some quality time with a good book.

1.  My Booky Wook [and 2] by Russell Brand
This is the book I'm currently reading.  I've always been intrigued by Russell Brand.  Turns out that not only is he an incredibly intelligent guy, but the bloke can write!  He's simultaneously funny and insightful, which makes for a great dynamic in the text.  I'm really enjoying this book and his outlook on life, both his own and in general. It goes without saying that if I enjoy a book and there happens to be a sequel, I'll read that, too.
2.  A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
As a fan of Game of Thrones on HBO and having already read the first two books in the book series, my next step is to read the third installment. I try to read each book after its respective season has aired on TV, but I've fallen behind on that and need to catch up!
3.  Londoners by Craig Taylor
I've seen this book before, and as a complete Anglophile and lover of London, I was intrigued by it. I've recently had a couple of friends read it and recommend it. Definitely a book I want to get my hands on soon!
4.  Travel as a Political Act by Rick Steves
Along those same lines, I've really wanted to add some travel books to my repertoire. Rick Steves is obviously well known for his knowledge of travel and his many guides, but this book is less of a guidebook for a place and more about life as a traveler and representative of your country while in a foreign place.
5.  Turn Right at Machu Picchu by Mark Adams
And another travel book, this one was highly recommended to me. Recently I've had South America on the brain as somewhere I'd like to go, and Machu Picchu in particular. This book is about one man's journey, retracing the steps of the man who discovered Machu Picchu in the early 1900's.
6.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
I've been hearing about this book for a while and recently read a review on a trusted blog I follow that really praised this book. Now I think I'll finally add it to my reading list.
Pin It button on image hover